he Database Engineer/Oracle Database Administrator will join a high-performing agile team using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology to support a nationally significant program. The program is using Test Driven Development (TDD) and test automation tools alongside a full suite of team collaboration tools. Program execution follows DEVOPS best practices and employs robust development, test, and production environments. The program provides system engineering, development, test, integration, and operational support to a large, fast-paced program, and is developing infusing new technology, and adding advanced capabilities while continuing to support an ongoing mission and operational system.
A Database Engineer is needed to provide support to maintain and add new capabilities to a complex system with exacting interface, performance, and security requirements. The selected candidate will provide database engineering expertise in the following areas: architecture, design, development, requirements analysis, data flow, network design/implementation, testing, and documentation for the system. She/he will analyze user requirements, system architecture, and system requirements specifications, and will provide database engineering expertise, and develop system architecture and system design documentation. She/he will support the development of system configuration documentation, including designs for capacity and performance planning, and will perform engineering activities, including risk assessments and analyses of alternatives for a variety of system-related issues and concerns. The selected candidate will provide solutions to challenging technical problems in distributed data replication, concurrent data access, and high availability.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will provide guidance and support for database engineering of large-scale systems, major system elements, and interfacing systems that are part of a large complex network environment with geographically distributed components. She/he will interface with technical managers, system and software integration engineers, test engineers, information assurance engineers, and other project team members in an Agile environment. The selected candidate will be responsible for implementing database engineering practices to ensure the proper degree of engineering rigor is applied to all assigned tasks. She/he will be responsible for communicating with and effectively collaborating with internal technical professionals on a day-to-day basis, and with POCs from customer organizations when necessary. The selected individual will actively participate in Program Increment Planning and related Agile team activities.
Assigned duties may include:
• Supporting database design, development, implementation, information storage and retrieval, data flow, and analysis activities.
• Supporting the analysis and evaluation of system improvements, optimization, development, and/or maintenance efforts.
• Supporting the development of long-term and short-term requirements for database administration and design.
• Assisting in developing databases, database parser software, and database loading software.
• Translating requirements and data into usable database schemas by creating or recreating ad hoc queries, scripts and macros, making updates to existing queries, and creating new queries to manipulate data into a master file.
• Assisting in the development of database structures that fit into the overall architecture of the system under development.
• Developing requirement recommendations from a project’s inception to its conclusion for a particular Business and IT subject matter area (i.e. simple to complex systems).
• Developing database structures that fit into the overall architecture of the system under development.
• TS/SCI with Favorable Polygraph
• Bachelor’s Degree in a technical discipline and at least 8 years of related experience. Additional experience may be substituted for a Degree.
• Must have experience as a Database Administrator to include tasks such as data migration, data replication, user administration, backup and recovery, performance tuning, issue investigation, issue resolution, and general administration.
• Must have a good understanding of databases, primarily Oracle and/or other relational and non-relational/NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL and MongoDB.
• Must have experience using Oracle SQL/PLSQL, and SQL in general.
• Must have knowledge of programming languages including Java.
• Must be committed to adopting and adhering to best practices.
• Must be able to effectively plan and prioritize tasking.
• Must be capable of performing high-quality work both independently, and with a team, in a fast-moving environment.
• Experience with the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology and/or as a member of an Agile team.
• Experience with Cassandra.
• Experience with MongoDB.
• Experience with Scaled Agile Framework agile methodology.